Constituted 3 March 1855 in the Regular Army as Company C, 1st Cavalry

Organized 17 June 1855 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri

Redesignated 3 August 1861 as Company C, 4th Cavalry

(Cavalry companies officially designated as troops in 1883)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1928 as the Machine Gun Troop, 4th Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1940 as the Service Troop, 4th Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 16 April 1942 as the Service Troop, 4th Cavalry, Mechanized

Consolidated 21 December 1943 with Headquarters Troop, 4th Cavalry, and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Troop, 4th Cavalry Group, Mechanized

Converted and redesignated 1 May 1946 as Headquarters Troop, 4th Constabulary Regiment

Reorganized and redesignated 10 February 1948 as Headquarters and Service Troop, 4th Constabulary Regiment

Inactivated 1 May 1949 in Austria

Redesignated 20 August 1953 as Headquarters Company, 4th Armored Cavalry

Former Troop C, 4th Cavalry, withdrawn 15 February 1957 and consolidated with Troop C, 4th Cavalry (see ANNEX 1), and the 25th Reconnaissance Company (active) (see ANNEX 2); consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3d Reconnaissance Squadron, 4th Cavalry, an element of the 25th Infantry Division (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated)

Reorganized and redesignated 29 July 1963 as the 3d Squadron, 4th Cavalry

Inactivated 16 March 1987 in Hawaii and relieved from assignment to the 25th Infantry Division

Assigned 16 June 1989 to the 3d Infantry Division and activated in Germany

Relieved 16 February 1996 from assignment to the 3d Infantry Division and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division

ANNEX 1

Constituted 1 February 1940 in the Regular Army as Troop C, 4th Cavalry

Activated 1 January 1941 at Fort Meade, South Dakota

Reorganized and redesignated 16 April 1942 as Troop C, 4th Cavalry, Mechanized

Reorganized and redesignated 21 December 1943 as Troop C, 24th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1946 as Troop C, 24th Constabulary Squadron

Inactivated 15 December 1952 in Germany

Redesignated 21 April 1953 as Company C, 524th Reconnaissance Battalion

Redesignated 1 February 1957 as Troop C, 4th Cavalry

ANNEX 2

Constituted 28 October 1942 in the Regular Army as the 25th Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 25th Infantry Division

Activated 3 November 1942 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii

Reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1944 as the 25th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized

Redesignated 10 October 1945 as the 25th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop

Redesignated 20 March 1949 as the 25th Reconnaissance Company